Avoid infections from sex, food and injuries.
Life is to be enjoyed. There are foods to savour, places to visit, and many adventures to be had. However, all this may come to an end if you should fall ill. Infectious diseases are among the top causes of hospitalisation in Malaysia.
We live in a world full of germs. So, there is a chance of catching an infection from doing the things we enjoy. Fortunately, we have vaccines that can help protect ourselves. Check out the list below and find out if it is relevant to you and your lifestyle. Free yourself from worry, vaccinate and enjoy your life to the full.
FOR THE: SEXUALLY ACTIVE
Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- One in two sexually active men and women will get infected with HPV at least once in their lifetimes.
- 90% of cervical and anal cancer cases are caused by HPV.
- Vaccination is recommended for those aged 9 to 45 years.
- Hepatitis B can lead to liver cancer, the 3 rd leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide.
- Vaccination can provide lifelong protection.
FOR THE: PHYSICALLY ACTIVE WITH RISK OF INJURY
- Even a single prick from rosethorn can result in tetanus.
- It is high risk for those above 55 years and if one not had a booster in the last 10 years.
FOR THE: FOOD LOVER
- The infection is easily transmitted to some of our favourite Malaysian food (crab, oyster, cockles) through water that have been contaminated.
- Caused by Salmonella typhi (bacteria) that can survive for days in fresh, pond or sea water, and for months in contaminated eggs and frozen oysters.
- 75% of cases are acquired while travelling.